We almost didn't go to graduation. Reasons?
- We technically graduated 4 months ago, before Christmas break, when there were no graduation ceremonies.
- Cap and gown rental fees seem like a racket after you've already paid your four years' tuition.
- My husband often scoffs at pomp and authority (and so also, possibly, at "Pomp and Circumstance"). He initially didn't look forward to the fancy hats, color-coded tassles, and terrible parking.
But one of my favorite pictures of myself as a little girl was taken on my dad's graduation day. I wanted a picture like that for our baby girl. Possibly for tradition's sake. Or possibly to have proof to show her when she's a teenager (and thinks she knows everything) that she has smart parents. Caps and gowns make us look like we know something.
Which is probably why I didn't take some of the other, non-smarty-pants pictures that I should have that afternoon:
- The mess I made when I didn't put the lid on the bottle correctly so all the milk we brought spilled in the diaper bag
- The spot where I would have gotten lost (on a campus I've known for years) if other people hadn't insisted I was going the wrong way
- Or the moment we had to break into the car because I'd locked the keys inside