a thank you note. you know who you are (i hope).

I made the baby write her own birthday thank-you notes.
I kind of suck at writing thank-you-notes. Not because I'm not thankful—just the opposite.

I always feel super grateful for and almost surprised by people's generosity. And, even though I love to write, I never feel like I convey exactly how appreciative I am. Maybe I should just do what my coolest sister-in-law did for me once and slip in some cash.

I would, but we just paid first and last month's rent on a new place to live. We're out of here this weekend. It happened much faster (read: 6 months faster) than I thought it would.

I'm grateful that Christopher found his dream job, that we get to live closer to it, and that we always find a place to live that's better than the last in some way (in this case, it's bigger).

But I've cried a few times this week. And I need to say thanks:

1. To the people who gave us wedding presents. Seriously.

While packing, I found a list of unfinished wedding thank-you's (which I thought my husband had conveniently "lost"). There are people on it who don't know how grateful I am on a daily basis, when we use our dinner plates, or our salad tongs, or our towels.

Thank you—almost 4 years late. I'm going to stop feeling guilty now that you never got a note.


2. To the people around here. I take a minute to feel comfortable in a new place. And the minute here took a lot less time than it usually does. I don't think it was really anything I did.

Like I said, I often fail at conveying the extent of my appreciation. Please know that's especially true this time for every single person I've met here since we moved in last November. You made this feel like home in one second.

Thanks. For every little thing. It matters. We're going down the road a ways, but I will always consider you friends.


3. To the people around there. I sure hope you're as cool as the people around here.
I'm going to say thanks in advance and just assume you are.

7 comments:

janel said...

No! This is not happening yet! I haven't even written you a thank you note for that fun FHE with the sheep. Or given you back your tupperware! Can we have you over for brunch tomorrow? (I'm not kidding.) Lunch? Dinner? Or we can drop something off in your little tupperware for you to eat on the long drive down I-15.
Sniff, sniff.

janel said...

(Or the thank you note for helping me get through stake conference without Mark.)

Genevieve Beck said...

Exciting times! Are you heading to Provo then? You know there really are so many great things about Utah county. I was reminded that this past weekend as I drove down the canyon. It's a beautiful place.

Beck said...

I found a stack of lost Thank You notes from my wedding also! I have similar feelings about thank you notes- I believe in them, I love them, but don't feel like they express my gratitude adequately.

I do have to say that Claire's thank you note was perfect.

kathy w. said...

Janel! I'm sad I didn't have my computer out to see your brunch invitation. I totally would have taken you up on it. I found a book I still have from the Murray library, so I'll have to head up there sometime soon. Maybe I could drop by?

Genevieve—Provo it is. Wait, are you in Utah?

Beck, you always do a good job of making people feel loved and appreciated.

Bryson and Tara said...

You guys must really have this moving thing down by now! Hopefully you'll get to stay put for a little while this time. Best of luck getting all settled and adjusted in your new place. So glad that Christopher is enjoying his job!

Jessica said...

I miss you. I wish you never left. I'm thinking I'll see you Thursday... let's hope so!