bringing out the hermit in me

Last month, we pulled my desk out into our entryway to make me a tiny office amongst the bikes, the shoe rack, and our little wannabe lemon tree. It's actually a huge upgrade from my former office—which used to be the bathroom.

I'm writing in there. Finishing another draft of this novel has become a rollercoaster of panic and delight. Some days, I'm certain it won't turn into anything better than compost. Other days, I'm pretty sure I'm onto something beautiful.

My current deadline has turned me into a bit of a hermit everywhere in my life, including our little blog. (I've actually composed a few blog posts in my mind—how I worried about looking ridiculous playing peek-a-boo through my tinted car window at the gas station until I looked over at the next pump and saw a guy doing the same thing with his kid while his car was filling up—but none of them get written. Just the book. And stuff for work.)

And I realized this: I don't know how you creative people balance dream-chasing endeavors with the reality of motherhood and work and needing to shower. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Nobody's abandoned showering around here (promise), but if you come to my house, you'll see how much I've let other things slide. I like to think it's because I'm always reading books to my little girl, instead of doing chores. And while that's true some mornings, it does not entirely account for the state of my kitchen.

This has become my mantra these days: I have plenty of time to accomplish everything I need and truly want to do.

It's true. I say it if I start feeling overwhelmed, and often, I get a little clarity on what to focus on and what's not worth my time. No surprise that vacuuming often falls off the list. It never makes it into my "truly want" category. But if there's not time for it these days, does that mean I don't technically need to do it either? I'll be a hermit a bit longer, so maybe nobody will notice.

Especially not this girl, whose "truly want" list includes eating cookies on the carpet...

6 comments:

Adrienne said...

It seems to me that you have your priorities straight.

Sanz said...

That's why it's so important to have speckled carpet that hides crumbs!!

Deja said...

Amen, my friend. I am stealing that mantra for my own. And trying to let go of the panic about my kitchen. That is the task of a lifetime, I think.

Also, you go! This is a sweet and magnificent thing you're doing. Infinitely more valuable than a clean carpet. There will be time for all of that later.

janel said...

That picture is so sweet. Is Claire always grinning? And you look gorgeous, mother/writer! I miss you guys.

Bryson and Tara said...

I realize that I don't know anything about this novel you're writing... What's it about? And is this deadline of your own making, or is it from publishers? I feel so out of the loop!

Good luck balancing. That is the story of my life and I'm not even close to figuring it out...

Oh, and you look beautiful in that picture.

The Turleys said...

From someone who's been a hermit for the last, well let's just say for a while. It can be very refreshing. I think it is our challenge in life to find the balance, like a child learning to walk. It can be frustrating, but also fun and rewarding. So, enjoy your toddling around! Love love love your writing. Can't wait to read your book :o)