i always do this















Every summer while I was growing up, my family went to Mill Hollow up in the Uintah Mountains. We stayed the weekend in cabins at a science camp where my parents worked during summers after high school. They led us on hikes, taught us names for plants, and took us to the little general store that the camp director opened for an hour or so on Saturdays—just for us, as the school kids who visited the camp had already gone home.

My parents gave us each some money, which we used to buy magnifying glasses, Mill Hollow Stickers, or long strips of colored plastic we could use to make boondoggle lanyards. My brothers spent their money fast. But I rolled those dollar bills up so tight that they turned into little slivers that got all sweaty in my hands. Should I get three feet of the green boondoggle? Or two? Would it match the blue better? Or the purple? How many keychain clips should I get?

And on and on—until it was time to close up shop and I wouldn't be able to buy anything unless I decided RIGHT NOW. You have no idea how many painful decisions went into those crappy lanyards that I made.

Unfortunately, that indecisiveness has followed me until now. I take AGES to make a decision. And once I finally do, it's sometimes too late. For instance, I've deliberated for 2 months now over a rug for our apartment. I finally found one that I love, took some time eliminating all other possibilities, made up my mind and...

It's sold out. Unavailable. The general store has closed. Go buy your boondoggle supplies somewhere else.

Such a pretty rug. Such a silly girl. If any of you see another rug just like this one, tell me. And if I manage to get over what I always do, I'll unroll my dollar bills and buy it before it gets away.

10 comments:

faith said...

that's such a shame. i do the same thing - take forever to make decisions. little by little i'm working to get better, but it's definitely a process.
i hope you find that rug somewhere else or at least one you like just as well!

janel said...

At least you bought boondoggle plastic with your money. I am pretty much 100% positive I would have bought candy.
As for rugs, well, funny that you mention that. When we lived in that beautifully carpeted apartment (ahem), I brought a rug home from an old lady who passed away in my parents' ward. A week later I found out that her home had been infested with termites. Smooth move, I know.

Anne Marie said...

Ha ha, Kathy we're so alike

Deja said...

It's a gorgeous rug. Nice choice. Late shmate. Another just as pretty shall come along, I know it. I'll peel my eyes for the prospect.

annie (the annilygreen one) said...

my heart is broken for you...that is one gorgeous rug. where is it from?

David/Dad/Doc said...

You are such your mother's daughter. Mom was just like that and still is in some ways. It does have its advantages too, but is disappointing when it goes this way. Kind of like bartering one too many times in that old Dark Tower game. You remember that sound don't you?

DAD

Mike and Lauren said...

Oh man! I hate that. I will search the internet for you! Do you know what the name of the rug is? I love you!

Mike and Lauren said...

p.s. how come we didn't make it on the "others'" list?

eden said...

ooo... that's pretty.

these are probably not as nice, but, in keeping with the black and white idea:

if you're wallet is loaded - http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/control/prod/~pid=16312125-508/~color=8240

this one's kinda cool... http://www.rugstudio.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=29232

i like this one too - http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/control/prod/~pid=262150401-P/~color=8309

and this - http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/control/prod/~pid=102CCL110-P/~color=8240

this one kind of makes me dizzy (in a good way) - http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/control/prod/~pid=262150201-1110211/~color=8309

in case you're really desperate: http://www.rugstudio.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=24628

well... there are plenty more i could add, but i'll leave it at that. i don't know that i like any of them more than the one you found (that one is beautiful) - but maybe it gives you a place to start.

happy hunting!

Ali said...

I love that Mike and Lauren bought it for you! I can't wait to see it in your house! I miss you lots and lots! xoxoxoxo