the great thing about feeling icky

Sometimes I feel like I can only blog about the happiest things, making my life look perfect (at least to the internet). I'm resisting that notion today:

I've felt like crap lately.

I have. It's been painful to get out of bed. My head and my stomach have hated me since last Tuesday. The medicine I had to take made me even more sick. And I almost cried about it in one of my professor's offices. I wished I could take my body off for a while, just to take a break.

But here's the thing. If you wake up as sludge every morning, you NOTICE the morning when you don't. You notice the way your muscles move. You notice how fast you can walk down the street. You notice how lovely sunshine feels. You notice individual leaves on trees that changed color so much since the last time you noticed.

You discover that feeling icky helped you pay attention today.
And somehow, that's great.


8 comments:

Deja said...

And you still managed to be upbeat. ;)

I hear you. I've been waking up feeling terrible and staying that way far too often. Lucky me, I am a mystery to the medical world. If they don't have a test for it, you're fine. (But you still have to pay.)

Ali said...

Oh, you poor thing! Do you need hot soup and bread sticks? Hot cocoa? That new book you've been dying to buy but don't have the energy to actually buy it? Tell me and I'll be there in a jiffy.

I hope that today is the start of many happy days ahead.

kathy w. said...

Deja, so sorry to hear that! Especially since your observation is so true. I actually had a doctor who got worried and insisted that I make an immediate appointment when I told him my symptoms. But when the tests came back normal, he said nothing was really wrong. But what about the symptoms?

A., you're so sweet! Of course, I'll never turn down free books or free food, but I'm doing ok. I AM super grateful for your heads up on the J. Crew sale. Thanks!

Bryson and Tara said...

Kathy,

Thanks for being real. I am so sorry you've been in so much pain. You handle it in such a graceful way that sometimes I forget. Please do let me know if I can do anything for you, friend.

Love,
Tara

luvmymunchkins said...

Ugh. What is up? Can the doctors figure out anything? It's good to know you get bad days too! :)

annie (the annilygreen one) said...

kathy, you're wonderful. doctors may not be, but you definitely are.

Mike and Lauren said...

This is so true. Yay for the days that you can notice the leaves and sunshine! On the days that the icky gets in the way, always know we're here! Love you!

Connor Devin Harris said...

Kathy, Thanks so much for the e-mail, I really appreciate you taking the time to tell me what you have learned! It was really good to read what you had to say about it before I read it...if I ever get to it...but now I can read it with a diff. perspective.
Oh, and don't feel weird giving me advice...I am new at this stuff and appreciate the knowledge!!
I hope you getting feeling better! Sickness is NOT fun!! I hope you don't mind me adding you to our blog, you blog makes me laugh!