happy halloween...














When I was little, Halloween was cool because it was all about sugar. I dressed up in that year's ballet recital costume, visited every house I had the energy to walk to, and came home with loads of free candy. Simple. Fun. We should have done it every week (I actually tried it out one summer; my next-door neighbor sent me home).

But the genius wore off when I grew up and figured out how money works. Knowing it took less energy for me to just buy a bag of candy that I really wanted (instead of getting token Smarties mixed in with the good stuff), took the novelty right out of trick-or-treating.

Good thing I found another sugar-laden practice to substitute. My friend recently starting selling the most amazing bakeware. I bought some. I made brownies. And then I decorated those brownies like spider webs. And I'm taking a big plate of them to my parents' house to share with my little cousins and younger siblings. As if they won't get enough sugar.

Happy Halloween.

4 comments:

Mr. Christopher said...

Did you dress up? Or just go to your neighbor's and ask for candy. Cute.

You should make healthy brownies with flax and honey, and 'trick' your family into thinking they're 'treats.'

Or maybe that's more of an April Fool's thing.

Deja said...

My oh my those are pretty.

Nicely done.

I should think of some way to be festive ...

Anne Marie said...

Oh my gosh those brownies were divine!!

faith said...

i like the "crappy candy." i love smarties. i don't love taffy. we gave out taffy last night. we were one of those houses... spencer said next year we're doing all chocolate.

your brownies look good. i think it's easier to not feel guilty about eating certain foods when they look so pretty.